Notices

Wondering how long until I want to drink

Old 05-04-2012, 12:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
New beginnings are the best!

Wondering how long until I want to drink

Today is day 2, no drinking. I'm notorious for starting something off with a bang and then within days, flaking out or just losing interest. Believe me, I have a LOT of unfinished projects.

I'm going to need some real help in the "keepin' busy" department. If I'm idle, I'll want to drink (and then probably go grab a glass).

I live in a dirty city, on a main road that's always busy with traffic. Not exactly inspiring. I'm sure those seaside rehab centers are quite fancy, but we work with what we've got. See, not a lot of people really know about my drinking problem, because I don't go out and drink. Too embarassing and expensive. I stay home and drink with my husband (or alone), so I'm not big on making my recovery very public. Although, I do want to go to an AA meeting very soon.

Anyway, I'm already feeling bored with this and lost. I have to admit, this website has been very encouraging and inspiring so far. What are the fundamentals in building this life back up to a sober, happy life?
Old 05-04-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I feel you! It's been less than 12 hours since my last drink and I already want another one but just because I'm going through emotional hell right now.

We gotta stay strong. I'm not sure what it takes, but for me right now, every time I think about it for a second, I think of what that vile liquid has done to me.. what I've allowed it to do and how I've let it destroy everything in my life.

I quickly lose the urge and feel nauseous. For me, that's working right now. I think it's different for everyone.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by TheRestorative View Post
Anyway, I'm already feeling bored with this and lost.
Bored with recovery? Already? I found in the first couple of months that not drinking keep me pretty darn busy. All my waking hours, seven days a week, for weeks, revolved around keeping me sober.

Maybe you are only abstaining from alcohol (which is different from working a program of recovery). I imagine your addictive brain got bored with that pretty quickly.

There are a million things that will keep you busy. But I suggest start with some internet research on alcholism, addiction, recovery. Find a recovery program that suits you. And work it like you life depends on it.

Because it does.

Good luck.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can totally relate! I too usually only drank at home. I'm on day 9 today. Ever once in a while I think about having a drink, thinking am I really addicted or was it just to cover up a bunch of other problems? I guess for me the reason of why I get so out of control when I drink doesn't really matter (it does....but that's a counseling issue) all I know is I can't be trusted! So I have been doing a lot of cleaning around my house, just came inside from weeding my garden, plan on planting flowers this weekend, and have also gone on a lot of walks. Pretty much anything to distract me from my own mind and to also keep me engaged in the moment.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Definitely different for everyone

There are a lot of people on this site who will tell you AA is the only way for them. For me it wasn't... I'm not knocking it at all, just saying there are other paths.

I read everything I could get my hands on about addiction and recovery when I first quit, and I'm still reading. I made lists of all the stupid/embarrassing things I did while drunk... and all the reasons i wanted to stop... and I read those lists over and over.

I put $10 a day away to represent the money I no longer spend drinking. I'm saving it for a big reward soon.

I fill the house with my favorite foods and non-alcoholic drinks... including ice cream, soda, whatever. It's amazing how much I can eat and not gain weight now that alcohol is out of the equation.

I go for walks and listen to books -- I have the AA Big Book as an audiobook on my phone.

I read and watch TV... even if it's trashy reading or trashy TV, it can keep my mind off cravings.

I treat myself to mani/pedis. Another way to make use of money saved.

I go out with my husband and do things that don't involve alcohol, like dinner and a movie.

I wear an amethyst eternity band on my right ring finger... amethyst symbolizes sobriety. It's my reminder to myself not to pick up a drink.

These are just some of the things I do to stay motivated... and maybe they all sound superficial, but they help me keep my desire to stay sober top-of-mind. That's the really important thing. Don't let yourself forget why you're doing this. Make it your first priority.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Personally, i have to find a way to break my cyclical thinking when it comes to booze usually by reading or coloring or distracting my mind in some other way. Also, just working it minute by minute when the cravings are awful get me through. They pass eventually and then i have that warm glow of pride that i made it again.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Congrats on making it through that first day!

Sounds like you are setting yourself up for failure. How about instead of wondering how long you can hold out try being proactive and determined in your sobriety. Don't make yourself out to be a self fulfilling prophecy. You can quit for good if you want to.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Not sure.

I was shaking, dry-heaving, cramping, and sweating enough to keep my mind off boredome through most of day 2, AND 3. After that, I soaked in as many AA meetings as I possibly could. AA meeting a far from boring, if that's your concern.

Great job on your 1st 24 hours.

Zube
Old 05-04-2012, 12:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheRestorative View Post
Although, I do want to go to an AA meeting very soon.

Anyway, I'm already feeling bored with this and lost. I have to admit, this website has been very encouraging and inspiring so far. What are the fundamentals in building this life back up to a sober, happy life?
What's the holdup?....If you really want to quit...Go to a meeting today...Read The Big Book...See what it's about.....You want to know what the fundamentals of building my life into a sober, happy one were...Wanting it...And taking the action to get it.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Grab a hold of someones coattail that has
learned to stay sober for a number of one
days at a time added together and you wont
feel alone in ur own recovery. I learned in
early recovery that I never have to go thru
anything alone by myself. Especially staying
sober.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Abby

I'm a big believer in you get out of your recovery what you put into it
I was always a big flaker too, but recovery has to be different...I knew if I kept drinking the way I was I'd lose everything and everyone dear to me, & ultimately, my life.

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

Many methods now offer online meetings...sonem like Rational Recovery, have no meetings at all.

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach like RR or SMART.

D
Old 05-04-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
New beginnings are the best!

Originally Posted by Zube View Post
Not sure.

I was shaking, dry-heaving, cramping, and sweating enough to keep my mind off boredome through most of day 2, AND 3. After that, I soaked in as many AA meetings as I possibly could. AA meeting a far from boring, if that's your concern.

Great job on your 1st 24 hours.

Zube
I had a lot of cleaning up to do around the house today, thankfully. I began to feel very overheated and even stomach sick. My body aches like hell today! I started getting very edgy around the time my girls needed to head to bed. It took so long to get them to bed, between the whining and nagging, and asking me for one more thing, etc. My first thought came so rapidly, "I can't wait to pour a glass." And then almost immediately I realized I wasn't doing that anymore. Wow, it's unreal how quickly we forget why we're doing this, and how it's going to save our lives and make us better people. I poured a glass of pepsi instead and signed onto soberrecovery.com to check on messages. So glad I did!

I appreciate you all more than you know!
Old 05-04-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I think all your feelings are normal. Life seems strange at first and then there's the boredom and irritability, tiredness....... it's not a smooth ride at first. I tried to keep things as stress-free as possible and just hoped that everyone was right about how much better it would get (and it did- it just takes more time than we want).

One thing I did for the first weeks is try to have something to look forward to, even if it was just a favorite TV show or a big bowl of ice cream. I collected a bunch of motivational quotes and articles and messed around on the computer. Just whatever sounded good at the time.

Glad you hung in there today (I think I was still laying around in bed on day 2!)