View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Nice post Just.

I don't know if you have or read the 24hr book but there was a reading for yesterday, maybe the day before, that talked about honesty and how "our secrets" can lead to big trouble.

When I was in my first year or so I'd go to tables and it seemed everyone was saying they never thought about alcohol at all, never thought about drinking, everything was perfect, bla bla bla. I'd look at my reality and it was better...but I still thought about drinking from time to time, I still thought about hitting the club and doing drugs, I had all sorts of "not good" thoughts in my head. They weren't overpowering but they were there and I felt I HAD to be doing something wrong in recovery.

Keep posting when that happens. Preferably, talk to your sponsor or some trusted AA friends / recovery friends. Be careful though, putting that out at tables. If you do, you open yourself up to ALL SORTS of advice and some of it will be rubbish - Been there, did that, got the t-shirt.

I've got a dozen or so recovery friends that know just about all of my s-h-i-t. When some odd-ball thoughts are running through my head...I tell those folks (or some of them). I've learned not to mess around with keeping those things bottled up...too dangerous.

I look at thoughts like that as part of the "insanity" of the mental obsession....thus, when they pop up, it's a good time to look at my second step.