View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 09:48 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Chino

In the beginning I was against my daughter being on maintenance meds. I started to change my view when I accepted addiction as a disease. My daughter has chronic Hep C and may be on meds for the rest of her life.

I reminded myself I never had a problem when my dad eventually transitioned into full type 2 diabetes requiring insulin. He was pre diabetic for about 15 years but wouldn't commit to changing his eating habits until it was too late. I didn't judge him for his sugar addiction, I loved and accepted him.

But it's so different with narcotics because of the behaviors associated with it!

I've asked myself how I would feel if my husband developed an addiction to pain killers, ended up on maintenance meds. It's a very real possibility because of his addictive personality and our business (construction). He manages his addictive personality in very healthy productive ways, but he and our son (another addictive personality) are both always just one horrible work related accident away from disaster.

My son is finally considering throwing in the towel and having some work done on his back. He's had a herniated disc since he was 16 and has degenerative disc disease. He's fully aware of his addictive personality, we all are thanks to my daughter, and the dangers associated with opiates.

At some point I'll have to throw in the towel and get my knee replaced (needed it done 15 years ago), and I have an elbow requiring surgery right now that I'm also blowing off. Like my husband and son, I avoid opiates like the plague.

Summing it all up, I have no idea what the future holds for any of us, but I do have clarity. I don't have a problem with dependence, I have a problem with active addiction and dry drunk syndrome. From hard earned experience, I know how to deal with it.