Is suboxone a crutch??

Old 04-21-2012, 04:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Is suboxone a crutch??

I think suboxone can have (very few) useful benefits if prescribed correctly - a limited time and a plan for recovery.

But in most cases, I think it just helps addicts sustain temporarily and not really recover.

I used the patch to help me quit smoking cigarettes, but I just don't see suboxone as an answer or in the same category!

Thoughts?? Experience?? Anybody? lol
Old 04-21-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
NAIOU

As far as I am concerned suboxone is a good detox drug but as a maintenance drug I think it is trading on drug for another. Suboxone is addictive. This is just my opinion, Logo
Old 04-21-2012, 05:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

I completely agree! Without the hard work of recovery, the drug is useless in my opinion.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In my tiny bit of experience, it depends on the person. My RABF used it for a few months. His DOC of oxy's. He said that it helped him through the worst part of withdrawals.

My ASD used it for a few months and then went back to heroin.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

To clarify further, RABF was doing a whole lot of recovery work while he was on the Subs. He was seeing his psychiatrist weekly, and doing a whole lot of other recovery things.

My ASD was making some attempts at recovery, but she was not clean while she was on it. She was still drinking alcohol, so that shows how serious she was about getting clean. She was had been making lots of excuses, wasn't working, wasn't going to school..really, she wasn't doing anything except taking the Subs.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

All suboxone did for my AD was ease her craziness for a few days. I think she was hoping for a miracle cure. Unfortunatley, she was not ready to work for her recovery and she relapsed.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
TMZ

yes it's a crutch, it has its's place but it is not a cure nor does it make them recover. But it can help to get them through the rough time and closer to recovery.

How you doing on quitting smoking? The patch analogy comes real close, but slightly different. {they are different drugs.} I mean the patch helped you through the hardest withdraw and weening off. The rest, taking control and quitting it was up to you to work through.

As always recovery is solely up to the A to do and go through.

Just my thoughts, though I have no personal experience with it. My opinion is from knowledge from four other family members. In some cases it helped but others were not ready to quit.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Of course it's a crutch. As with any crutch, it has an appropriate use. If you broke your leg, walking on crutches would be fine-- until it was time to walk on your own again.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Well, I quite for a year but started again but I have my new quit date of April 28th. I have struggled for years with my nicotine addiction, so I can't imagine what its like for an addict whose mind is being altered as well. Not excusing or defending it. I am just saying I am sure it is hard and we enablers make it harder! I know I did!!

I think Dr's who prescribe suboxone should make some kind of other treatment mandatory. I am not sure it that would always help, but it just seems irresponsible not to, IMO!
Old 04-21-2012, 07:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My thoughts…

Sub is an absolutely awesome tool for opiate addicts especially for heroin addicts who were the driving force behind it.

This is a last house on the street option, so experiences/results will vary and greatly.

A crutch, no one has the right to say that, unless that is what it became for them.
Trading one drug for another, again it becomes what it does for those who use it.

Miracle cure, no and it never was touted as such.

I have no doubt this drug helped my husband reclaim his life. I have no doubt that the many years he was on it were absolutely necessary for him or why would he stay on it Also I have no doubt that how he used it in every good and not so good way were important too.
His clean timeis because of the chance sub gave him, and he has been off of it for years.

I never understood why family members couldn’t just let the drug be what it is, a chance. Why the need to assign it as something.

I think Dr's who prescribe suboxone should make some kind of other treatment mandatory. I am not sure it that would always help, but it just seems irresponsible not to, IMO!
Personally I think it would be much more fun if doctors treating patients for any type of addiction would make it mandatory that their family to immediately enter a program, and show proof!
Old 04-21-2012, 08:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

I came here for support and information and NOT to be attacked. Your post is highly offensive and down right sad. I can not find the humor in what YOU think would be "fun."

We all the right to share our experiences, opinions and feelings without such criticism.

I am glad yours "appears" to be a positive one!
Old 04-21-2012, 09:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

From what I have seen and heard from others, some think it is a "quick fix" and don't think they need to put in the hard work of recovery. I was one of them when AH took it the first time. His DR described it as a "miracle drug."

Now if someone is really ready for recovery, suboxone is very useful.

I am not judging anyone for how they get clean, it's not my place to judge. My AH is back on suboxone but this time is seeing an addiction therapist. That's a positive start but only time will tell how serious he is this time.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

"Personally I think it would be much more fun if doctors treating patients for any type of addiction would make it mandatory that their family to immediately enter a program, and show proof! "

I can't see anything fun about addiction for the user or the family! Yes, most families of an addict do need help but so does the addict and suboxone alone doesn't cut, IMO. their is nothing fun about entering a program and I won't even comment on the "show proof" part.

Enough said on the subject! I am moving on...ty!!
Old 04-21-2012, 10:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

For met ex, methadone brings a level of normality to his life. He can go to the chemist once a week to collect it and then just take it every morning when he gets up, and it allows him to get on with his day. It eases the level of crazy. When he's using his entire life is drug seeking, he's incapable of being a 'functioning' addict. So although he's chosen not to use any recovery resources at this time, his current abstinence means he gets a break from the crazy train. So maybe it's a crutch, but it's a useful one.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sobo can definitely easily become a crutch. I know people who will pay between 10 and 20 dollars A PILL for it. It's good for when you're first in recovery since it'll keep you from getting dope sick and from getting high. Taking it requires being committed to recovery I think. But I think it should just be used as a temp fix. It's also wicked disgusting, at least I always thought so lol. So in it's own way that makes you want it to just be something temporary.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by FenwayFaithful View Post
Sobo can definitely easily become a crutch. I know people who will pay between 10 and 20 dollars A PILL for it. It's good for when you're first in recovery since it'll keep you from getting dope sick and from getting high. Taking it requires being committed to recovery I think. But I think it should just be used as a temp fix. It's also wicked disgusting, at least I always thought so lol. So in it's own way that makes you want it to just be something temporary.
Why would you consider it disgusting? I am just asking because I have never tried it.

I know a girl who takes/took a 1/4 everyday and she told she takes it to help her have energy to clean and cook etc. Not to help detox! Yuck!!
Old 04-21-2012, 10:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveMeNot View Post
Why would you consider it disgusting? I am just asking because I have never tried it.

I know a girl who takes/took a 1/4 everyday and she told she takes it to help her have energy to clean and cook etc. Not to help detox! Yuck!!
Well you have to let is dissolve under your tongue for about 20 minutes for it to work. It just tastes awful, they try and mask it with this fruity flavor but it makes it worse. And you do get a little high (ish) from it. You feel happier, more energized...things like that.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My post was not offensive, nor was it sad, it was just what you didn’t want to hear.
And for someone who takes the stance of not caring how one gets clean or their recovery program you have a awful lot to say about how you think it should be done if one chooses sub.

I don’t take any stance, I think addicts are very capable of finding their way…and when allowed they do just fine either staying sick or getting well.

I am curious did your bf’s doctor make meetings mandatory for him?
Old 04-22-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

I can and will take a stance on whether or not I am being manipulated and in MY case suboxone was and is being used to manipulate me into believing something that wasn't or isn't. Again that is MY life experience!

His DR didn't make it mandatory for him to seek any additional forms of help, she continued to prescribe it although he tested positive for Percocets, did she not have fun suggesting I get in a program too. However, I would have welcomed her suggestion.

I am happy your husband is in recovery and if suboxone aided that - then that's great. In my case, my husband is back on suboxone, wants to come home and I just still don't see any other positive changes. So the answer is NO!

In his case, abstaining is NOT enough for ME! It's not enough for my family and I refuse to allow him manipulate me any more. He knows what needs to done, and it's his choice! He knows it's not an ultimatum, he has choices and so do I!
Old 04-22-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveMeNot View Post
In his case, abstaining is NOT enough for ME! It's not enough for my family and I refuse to allow him manipulate me any more. He knows what needs to done, and it's his choice! He knows it's not an ultimatum, he has choices and so do I!
Good for you.

Without some kind of recovery program in place, the addict never makes the internal changes necessary to progress in life.

Sending you hugs of support.