Thread: Rock Bottom?
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 10:02 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Mavis1

I had enough of the being sick and tired and hating myself every day about 25 years ago. I had gone to a treatment facility for 2 weeks, it didn't stick but I had so much information now and knew I was an alcoholic and then I did something about it and I'm so grateful a day at at ime that I do not drink anymore and have AA to thank for it and the wonderful people I met. I had to totally humble myself to walk into a meeting and shut up and listen to others that were sober to find out how to stay sober. one thing led to another and I started to recover. I never looked back. some folks like my husband had to hit a rock bottom, his was death at the age of 56. he was sober for many years and then picked back up again and drank himself to death last year. I am so grateful that I didn't drink during what was the most difficult time of my life. I saw what it did to that beautiful, wonderful, kind, loving man and I didn't want to go that path. I chose life, he chose death and it's very sad. this disease kills, alcohol wins every time. it destroyed my life again and I didn't even pick up a drink. I'm praying for you, anyone connected to an active alcoholic or someone struggling with it should think hard about what it can do to you and to your family, your finances, your jobs, your emotional health, friends etc. it takes everything from you systematically, it is the great remover, it wins every stinking time unless the A puts it down on their own and seeks help on their own and has strong recovery. take care and beware....m