View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 12:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Itchy
Re-Member

New,
Sorry for your loss too.
For you, and the others who chimed in to say they need to do "something."

Since you introduced yourself and have made that first step in coming here and starting, I believe you are also asking what is next? If so read on.

I believe it is mandatory to talk with your Doc first, be totally honest with him or her about how much you drink and what you are experiencing as bad side effects. Your doc will be able to take your through a self at home detox, with some support meds, or help you get into a hospital detox for 7 days like I did. The most important thing is to get a doc involved, even an ER doc if you don't have one of your own.

Once you are detoxed then the choices begin and you may even have folks pressure you with their method of recovery. Regardless, your recovery plan, and how you work it will be unique to you whether it works or fails.

I used AA, here on SR, part of a rehab program post detox, counselors, family and friends support, ( I was the only problem drinker in my family/friends group.) which is not the same as business and other acquaintances. I too had to drop 99% of my drinking buddies keeping only one. I wanted to make it my first serious attempt to quit and did, that is why the all out use everything approach. I have only detoxed once, and that is the last time. I made it the first try. ( I am not counting the every morning saying "I gotta quit tomorrow this is killing me" morning before i put scotch ion my first coffee in the morning to start stopping the shakes) as attempts to quit.

I believed and still do that using everything at my disposal was the only way that worked. I dropped all of them except here since then, 19 months ago this Saturday to be exact.

So talk to your Doc and get some counselors and locations of AA or other groups see if you can get in hospital detox and if you have insurance what is and is not covered.

I am also another old timer who didn't come to problem drinking I could not stop until my mid 50's. Before that after my 40's I had no problems with drinking, I did it all the time very well!

So once again welcome, keep posting and sharing with the great folks here, ask questions, and read, read, read.