Thread: AVRT and sugar?
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by vinyl View Post
Has anyone ever tried using AVRT with sugar?
I haven't, but it can be done, it just needs a little tweaking from the usual, since you can't stop eating entirely. RR does have that "Taming the Feast Beast" book, but I've never read it myself. I do know from the supplement to that book, and from the Journal of Rational Recovery, that there are four axes of a dietary Big Plan: Time, Amount, Place, and Stuff (TAPS). TAPS allows a progressive approach, one axis at a time, until you have the results you want. Essentially, you make more limited Big Plans. I sent you a link to the TAPS sheet, or you can also Google "rational recovery taps" (without quotes) to find it quickly.

Originally Posted by vinyl View Post
Sugar is causing me health problems now and my doctor told me I need to quit eating refined sugars. But I've been doing it anyway, because I (or my AV?) can't stop.
I do notice some basic confusion in your post, though, so do read through the AVRT discussion thread if you haven't done so, as it will clarify some things. You certainly can stop eating refined sugars, but your body, via the addictive voice, will try and raise holy hell. The Beast cannot control your arms, legs, and mouth, it can only use the AV to try and coax you into feeding it. Remember, AV is to Beast as Bark is to Dog. Just as the bark is not the dog, the AV is not the Beast. The Beast is the desire, the biological drive, and the AV is the expression of that desire, in your mind's eye and ear (the pictures and sounds in your head).