Thread: AVRT and sugar?
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 05:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
m1k3

Yes, I applied the basics of AVRT before I knew that's what it was to sugar. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and after attending the classes I told myself I would never eat refined sugar again.

Of course it is almost impossible not to eat some sugar because it is in everything. I don't eat candy, cakes, pies or anything like that with large amounts of sugar. I don't eat sweetened cereals. I also try to avoid white refined flour as it is every bit as bad as sugar.

Now, I do eat fruit pies that have no sugar added and there are some very good no sugar added ice creams so you aren't giving up everything. Which means when your beast is whining for candy or sweets you can give it something else and it least in my case it is quit content with that.

Actually using AVRT to quit drinking was easier because I could just say no. With eating its harder because you just can't say no to eating. You can learn what foods are ok and which ones aren't and stick to your guns on that. Google glycemic index and you can learn a lot about good and bad carbs. The concept is the same though, just say no to the bad carbs. Sorry it's not quite as cut and dry but it is doable. I now manage my diabetes through diet and exercise and no longer need the medicine.

Edit:... One thing, the sweetener in a lot of diet candy is a laxative so be careful with that. I learned that one the hard way.

Your friend,