View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 04:59 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
wellwisher

I'm glad to see you are serious about quitting. I don't think you would have gone to the doctor to get a clean bill of health before you start detoxing if you weren't serious about quitting. Nothing wrong with that. I go to the doctor when I'm not feeling well, and inevitably get the "lose weight" lecture, but if he put me on a grapefruit diet to do that - eat nothing but grapefruit for a month, I instinctively know that any benefit I derive is for the short-term; probably more water loss than fat loss, and that I am depriving my body of essential nutrients. I know this to be true, because I've researched nutrition.

I see you are opting to use AVRT. I am AA recovered, but I follow the AVRT threads. If I mistate some terminology used in the AVRT methodology, I apologize in advance. What I'd like to point out to you is that your confusion in bouncing around about what you "should" be doing is exactly where your Beast wants you to be. I think there are four or five AVRT threads specific to the methodology you can read up on, and participate in. If you choose to taper, do so with not only the promise, but by ACTIVELY obtaining the RR book, reading the threads, participating, and making your Big Plan as you move forward. I am not sure, but tapering while you make your Big Plan seems not to be a big deal. I could be wrong about that.

Send Terminally Unique a private message, or one of the others participating on those threads. I'm sure they would love to help you get going.

Relief from addiction comes from the action involved; not the contemplation of it.

My understanding of the AVRT method is that it cares nothing about "issues" or spiritual awakenings, but merely focuses on abstaining from alcohol. After that, you are on your own.

My own personal experience was that I spent a year or two in counseling before I got sober, because I mistakenly thought that if I "addressed my issues", I would be able to control my drinking. Any counseling I had while I was actively drinking really did me no good - I had to get the alcohol out of my body and stop using. This is my personal experience; I am not commenting on your life or experience.

All my best in your journey....