Notices

Doctor Appointment

Old 04-03-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Doctor Appointment

My mind is still sort of going a mile a minute...I was with the doctor longer then I should have - since in Canada you only have a certain amount of time with your doctor and can only address one issue.

I had no idea that in my ER there is no "detox" area...it is only until you have to call an ambulance would they administer valium to get rid of DTs/seizure. IF I go through that because at the same time he doesn't think I drink enough to have an issue with that but there is no guarantee - not what I wanted to hear...but everyone is at risk.
I was advised to cut down...cut down by each week and then when drinking is at a low to begin my Ativan...but to also call an addictions counselling centre to figure out what to do when I am done the boozing. His concern isn't detox. It's what I am going to do after detox.

There is a detox place that is about a half hour 40 minutes from where I live...but I have no money for this (I am unemployed) AND you lay there and they just watch you?? Want to hear the best part about this "detox" place in good old Ontario, Canada?? If you start having problems they have to call an ambulance and take you to ER in a hospital so they give you valium and then send you back.
Really?
Oh...and you have to wait...to get in there...could be a month or more? Who knows!?

My doctor is really great...he gave me tips and tried to assure me that everything would be fine. That I won't have blood pressure issues and he didn't bring up my liver at all and didn't seem too concerned. He did seem concern about what would happen afterwards...how I would stay off the sauce.
He said something about willpower...but it was as good as trying to willpower off diarrhea or something (LOL).

I am sad that I can't just stop...that it is advised to cut down. But I am going to cut down. When doctor's tell me stuff like that, I really listen. I am so much more optimistic about quitting after seeing him.

I definitely am going to cut way down and be done with booze in a few weeks time.
Hey, he's the doc. I've seen him for years and years and years...so I will take his advice first.

Just wanted to keep you guys updated on my appointment. I hope it didn't offend anyone...and I know that a lot of you don't agree with tapering...but I am going to give this a shot. And it might work for me, who knows...if it doesn't...well...then at least I am trying.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

x

Last edited by stillsleeping; 04-03-2012 at 12:08 PM. Reason: loads of duplicates
Old 04-03-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

x

Last edited by stillsleeping; 04-03-2012 at 12:09 PM. Reason: my internet sucks!
Old 04-03-2012, 12:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hon, I'm so sorry - how frustrating! Glad it's left you feeling optimistic tho.

How long does it look like the taper's going to take? Did he work out a programme for you?

xx
Old 04-03-2012, 12:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Glad you are a little more at ease after seeing your doctor...but his guidance to you about cutting down (I mean tapering) is proof that being a doctor doesn't automatically mean they understand addiction and alcoholism.

I would imagine you've tried cutting down or moderating in the past, Bayliss. Has that worked for you? Getting such advice from a doctor doesn't make it easier.

I wish you all the best and hope this is the start of your sobriety journey.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bayliss View Post
His concern isn't detox. It's what I am going to do after detox.
At least he's right about that....Spot on....I'm not a big fan of tapering...I'd quit....If it started getting bad....I'd call that ambulance....He doesn't think you drink enough that you should be admitted?...Maybe he's right about that too.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

He said something about willpower...but it was as good as trying to willpower off diarrhea or something (LOL).
I've heard that in AA....Something to do with being powerless....I think that's what he was talking about. Good luck Bayliss.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Lot's of luck with that program!! Why don't you quit being so dramatic about withdrawls and just see if they actually do happen?? ... chances are like 1 in a 1,000,000 (probably way less) that you'd die!! For goodness sake, get a grip! Stop!! If you get super ill.... as someone else said, call an ambulance. On the very off chance that you did have such horrific wd's you'll know it in plenty of time to have the presence of mind to call.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.

It wasn't just my doctor that actually said this...he thinks I should taper off slowly...but I did just call my addictions counsellor...she said I should go to detox. It would be safe...I could detox at home if I wanted to...but it would be safer to go into a "controlled environment".
BUT...she also said, that if I wanted to I could taper off as well...that it doesn't work for a lot of people and I have to be very disciplined. But that it should take me a few weeks to taper...but one week at the most.
To go for one litre a night...to two a night...see how I feel...keep going down a glass...and then none at all by the weekend...and if I feel weird to take an Ativan...but to be careful, because that is addictive.

I am so confused.
I just don't want to die!
Why do I have to go through all this ******** after I finally decide I WANT TO STOP??

How does anyone know if you don't really need to go to a detox? I've been drinking for three years...I have cut down a bit before and was fine during the week...

Doggonecarl...when I cut down before it wasn't because I wanted to stop drinking, because I would drink on the weekends...I just didn't want to ruin my efforts of trying to lose weight throughout the week (going to the gym, blablabla).
I really want to just get away from this now.

Thank you Stillsleeping...and I answered your q above. I am pretty sure.

Does anyone have any more advice?

I was told I shouldn't go to AA either (if I decided to go) if I am tapering. Why not? I thought there were open meetings?

I am just getting angry now.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Relayer View Post
Lot's of luck with that program!! Why don't you quit being so dramatic about withdrawls and just see if they actually do happen?? ... chances are like 1 in a 1,000,000 (probably way less) that you'd die!! For goodness sake, get a grip! Stop!! If you get super ill.... as someone else said, call an ambulance. On the very off chance that you did have such horrific wd's you'll know it in plenty of time to have the presence of mind to call.
Oh, I definitely know I am dramatic. That is for sure.
As you can tell by all my posts...

But I have pushed it far too many times that I want to do this safely...
Old 04-03-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Actually, seizures can come on quickly and once you are in one, you cannot call for help.

You can either try the taper, which would never have worked for me, or you can just quit, but please, don't do it alone. Make sure someone is there with you that will keep an eye on you and call for medical help if necessary. There's no way out of this other than through it, but remember, you never have to go through it again. Good luck, bayliss.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You sound like you are stalling to me Bayliss....If you want to quit....Quit....You want to drag this on like you've been doing since I joined this site...Taper away.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

in Canada, Alcoholics are the lowest

Sorry you are going through this...I can sympathise entirely. You are absolutely correct, the Doctors dont seem to care very much in helping, in my experience, when they hear the word Alcoholic. It seems like we are the lowest of the low..I get that they are busy etc with "Real" patients who haven't created or contributed to their own disease, but I will never trust another doctor in Canada when it comes to anything regarding Alcoholism.
The government supplies clean needles and clean crack pipes to addicts..but alcoholics are greatly frowned upon. As you said, unless you are in full Delirium Tremens, the hospitals wont help you. Waiting lists for rehabs are long, and anything worth going to Rehab wise will cost you personally at least 10 thousand dollars... I hope that you detox safely, and remember how awful this feels, and how utterly unsympathetic the Medical Professions have been..and never have to go through this again....
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Actually, seizures can come on quickly and once you are in one, you cannot call for help.

You can either try the taper, which would never have worked for me, or you can just quit, but please, don't do it alone. Make sure someone is there with you that will keep an eye on you and call for medical help if necessary. There's no way out of this other than through it, but remember, you never have to go through it again. Good luck, bayliss.

Thanks for the support Suki.
That makes sense too about the seizures...never really thought of that.
I live with my boyfriend and his Mom...so maybe that will help? Technically not alone...and they both drive if I need anything.
I can hang out with her during the day when he works and he is with me all night.

Regardless...since I didn't try this before...and it COULD work for me I am tapering this week.
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think you may have missed my point... the chances are overwhelmingly high that just quitting will be safe for you. At the very least, safe enough to call an ambulance in time. After only 3 years of drinking and at times only weekend binging, you will surely be uncomfortable, but you are not going to die. I wish you would just hunker down and do it... but it's your life and nobody can make that decision except you. I did the taper thing once and it worked for about 4 days after a one week taper.... then back at it, because I told myself I was so strong, I could do the same again any time. Ultimately, I was as bad as ever and now I just got through 5 nasty feeling roller coaster days, but I'm finally feeling way way better. ...and guess what?? I didn't die!!! And I was at the drinking thing a lot longer and harder than what you've described. You should just quit... stop... cold turkey... done. That's about all I have to say for you. Sincerely wish you all the best.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I am currently sitting in the doctors office and freaking out. I know I shouldn't. The weird thing is if he reassures me I'll be fine I don't want to take that as a "okay, I'll quit next week". Uh uh.
I definitely will begin reading up on different recovery things asap. Figure this all out.
But I am going to cut down. When doctor's tell me stuff like that, I really listen. I am so much more optimistic about quitting after seeing him.

I definitely am going to cut way down and be done with booze in a few weeks time.
Bayliss, you need to have a plan, your plan. What is it going to be?
Old 04-03-2012, 12:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Btw... I agree with Suki on the don't do it alone part... completely!! I still think you're imagining a problem that will not happen though, just so you can keep drinking. You're listening to the alcohol voice in your head that "makes" you panic and think you'll have all these problems. Just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth. Only you can be introspective enough to know yourself.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

LostEverything -- yes...I completely agree with you...it's funny how people think Canadians have it "so easy" with our healthcare system and that is not the case at all.
The detox centre? Who knows how much that costs to stay there for a week...and like I said...they are NON-MEDICAL too!! And I can't have any electronics there or check this site or stay in contact with loved ones at all.
And it is true...it is frowned upon from some doctors. My doctor is pretty good...he went through it...but he can't do much because in our doctors offices they can't do that stuff and he said so himself that it is sad.
Even my addictions counsellor sounded impatient when she was talking on the phone with me. :/

Relayer - I am very sorry for misunderstanding. Emotions are running a bit high. Feeling confused.
I may have to just reconsider the tapering thing.
How long were you drinking for?
And thank you for sharing. )
Old 04-03-2012, 12:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I was told I shouldn't go to AA either (if I decided to go) if I am tapering. Why not? I thought there were open meetings?
Sounds to me like you are getting some horrible advice....The only part he got right is you need to be concerned with what you do after....Or if that ever happens...Detox......I could go to my local veterenarian and get better advice.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Bayliss, you need to have a plan, your plan. What is it going to be?
I'll have to think about that now...maybe I will just stop cold turkey...