View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 08:48 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by thoughts View Post
I wanted to inquire about the feelings I'm having about my sobriety this time.

Granted, I'm only on day 7, but this time "it" just feels different. I feel as though I'm truly done with drinking and hard drugs. I know I've said, "I'm never drinking again," thousands of times before, but it was always felt sort of forced or out of frustration with myself. This time I'm really feeling at peace with it. I don't know why or how these feelings came about, but they're there.

I mean, the past week hasn't been all peaches and cream, and I am mourning the loss of alcohol and drugs, questioning friendships, and trying to figure myself out outside of drinking, but I'm looking forward to moving on. This is a sentiment that, I feel, really separates this attempt at sobriety with every other one in my past.

Does anyone else know this feeling? Was that really "it" for you, or did you wind up slipping?
The "it" feeling we are subjectively talking about has never left me since I finally and completely quit back in 1981. Drunkenness is the only thing which could ever destroy my "it" feeling and so it is always with me since quitting. It was the drunkenness I didn't want anymore, even though my addiction wanted otherwise, I still stayed quit and just past the one month mark I was able to appreciate and enjoy a freedom of no longer being enslaved to my alcoholic mind. In my surrender process I was re-made into an early recovered alcoholic within the next two months, and before I was sober a year I absolutely knew my alcoholism was arrested and done as defined by AA. As the years have went on so have the promises come true.

So yeah, good times and tough times of course come and go and still I have not lost why or how i quit drinking for good and all. Those feelings will last me a sober life time.

I hope the same for you in your own journey as well, Thoughts.