Old 04-03-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post
Only people with drinking problems pressure others to drink. Normal drinkers don't care if you drink or not.
How true!

I hung out with a lot of drinkers though.....so when I got serious about quitting for good, I got a fair amount of questions. I had dui issues, so when I said I was done drinking, most ppl understood BUT a lot of my drinking buddies didn't want to lose a drinkin' pal.....so they kinda tried to make it easy for me to "just have a couple but not drive" a lot of the time. Like Dee said, I had to kinda break things off with those guys for a while. The only way that worked was I had to tell em, "Look, I think I need to be done with this drinking stuff for good. Right now though, I need some time to get my head screwed on straight and figure some things out." At the time, I was serious about being done permanently but anytime I told any of them that......the old "well, you can drink SOME time down the road" conversation would start up and that one drove me nuts. So, with the drinking guys, I kinda told 'em the "my head's messed up, figuring things out, not drinking for now" deal. As time went on they started to figure out that the "not drinking for now" wasn't gonna end anytime soon......but by then they had some time to adjust to the new me as well.

I also did a lot of prayin' - for the strength to deal with whatever was gonna crop up, to be able to handle those situations, and to stay on the right path. That helped a lot.......even though I didn't think it would when I was prayin.