View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 05:29 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
midgetcop
L'il fighter

A little late to the thread. But I had a similar feeling this time around too, where I had a very strong belief that *now* (6 months ago) was the time for me to stop drinking. I'm not sure what in particular this time prompted it - a culmination of health, major life events, age - but suddenly I found resolve and a sense of finality that was missing the other hundred times I tried to quit.

You have to be careful though. I relapsed one night about 3 weeks in. Thankfully it was a small blip and I've been good ever since, but it was a sneaky ******* and came out of nowhere.

I haven't used a formal program, but I have been seeing an addiction counsellor one-on-one. I lurk and post here at SR. I have a supportive family. Like you, many of my close friends like to party it up, so I haven't been hanging with them all that much lately.

vinyl - I hear where you're coming from, but remember that these opinions come from a place of concern for your recovery. Many feel that without a formal program in place there may be a higher chance of relapse. I'm not one to say whether they're right or wrong. Just remember to stand firm and remind others that you're working what is best for YOU, and the fact that it is still working is really what matters.