View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
vinyl

I'm glad you brought this topic up. I've been a little nervous about mentioning the same feelings I happen to have (I'm on day 11). No disrespect to the AA members here but a few have been rather "forceful" in their recruitment efforts and preachy, so it's been intimidating for me to just say, hey man, I'm DONE drinking and will NEVER drink again. But that's it and I feel the exact same way. I will absolutely, 100% NEVER drink another drop of alcohol, as long as I live.

Again, I have nothing against AA or it's membership, but some here are so intimidating with it I've been hesitant to just say, back off, I just don't need it right now. Anyway.

There is definitely a difference this time for me. Much like you my last few attempts (ages ago) were "day by day" sort of stuff and no real commitment. It was all empty promises to myself I knew I couldn't keep. They key for me this time is recognizing that I can't just have one drink, ever. I will not be okay to drink later when I'm feeling healthy again. Moderation is not an option for me. Some people can drink, some people can not. I can not.

So yes, there are others right there with you and I am one of them. It's an intangible feeling I can not quite articulate but it's very real. I'm done drinking, for good.