Thread: Back to Reality
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 10:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
outtolunch

All drug court programs have a financial motivation; to reduce the cost to taxpayers. From time to time I read and or hear references that some drug court programs have criteria requiring adult offenders to live in family home. I have yet to locate one that actually documents this criteria.

When looking at at the net $$$, it becomes obvious the county/state is not picking up the tab for incarceration, thus reducing the financial burdens on tax payers.

Most of these programs require the offender to be employed and contribute to the cost of the program including pagers. AA or NA meetings are also usually required. Many of these programs provide for home detention and do not specify whose home.

Interestingly, not all drug convicions are eligible for most programs. Heroin is more often than not excluded even though cocaine and derivitives and Meth are included. I have not yet come across the rationale for this.

So many families have been robbed blind by their own addicted family members. It makes no sense to me that these families should be expected to take on the undocumented obligation to house the offending relation.