View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 08:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bryangt

Feelings of Guilt...won't go away..

Been sober for a bit over a year now. One thing I keep feeling is guilt that I have for action of my children.
My 21 year old daughter got a DUI when I was still in rehab. I cried when she called me to tell about her DUI.
I felt so guilty as I set a bad example for her and of course the dreaded 'genetic' connection.
Every time she calls me, I get a wave of guilt that makes me want to crawl under a rock. She is in college, she works and she is trying to deal with the fines & surcharges that go along with the charge.
It is so hard for me to let go of the guilt. I want to help her out more but financially I am struggling also.
She is my (baby girl) daughter & always will be. This past year she has inspired me at times almost to tears. Whenever she calls, she is always so wound up about her situation--it is hard to calm her down. I don't know what to do about these feelings of guilt. Should I call her more often? I try to avoid it as I always get guilty & upset. The same goes with my son...
I lost my drivers license for 10 years and feel useless as I can not get to see them or 'be there' for them....ditto on my aging parents.