Old 09-29-2004, 09:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
abtchonamission

Hey ChillGal,

I have been to many N/A meetings with my addict because he has no license. Usually I go outside and let my son play on the playground, but quite often I've sat in on the meetings. The first few times I figured Michael would just be sitting there listening to everyone else because of my presence. I kinda thought that might be for the best, because like you, I wasn't sure that I wanted to hear what he had to say. As it turns out, it really helped me to understand him, and in listening to him and the others, it helped me to understand addiction a little better by hearing from the other side of the fence. I'm glad today that Michael wasn't afraid or embarrassed to speak in front of me. I now try to sit through a meeting with him on a fairly regular basis, because it helps me to continue to understand that he is also recovering, it also takes time for his recovery, and a million other things. I also heard things that made me realize that in his active addiction he did things that I hurt over, but he never did them TO hurt me, and even in his active addiction to this very day, he regrets any hurt he caused. He is already thinking of how to make amends when he reaches that step for many things. A suggestion - maybe you could compromise with your husband - attend the meeting he is speaking at. If it becomes too hard for you to hear him, you can always leave. I'm not saying you have to go. I'm saying it's an idea you could consider.

(((Hugs)))
Trisha