Old 03-31-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
wellnowwhat

I come here for experience, strength and hope. I try to contribute experience, strength and hope.

I, too, left for awhile. I was finding some posters were offering pointed advice and expecting instant action. "I've told you what to do. Why aren't you listening to me and doing this right now?" type of attitude. It was like they had forgotten that they, too, didn't immediately respond to advice given early in their recovery and how stuck you can feel. (If it was that easy, there would be no need for SR!) I was getting angry and had to walk away.

I don't mind straight talk. I want to hear what I need to hear, even if I don't like the answer, but the comments for a while seemed to be harsher than necessary and not follow the guideline of: Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.

When I returned after a couple of months I found the posts to be more E,S & H than before, and while blunt sometimes, not as mean. I appreciate getting the message without attitude.

Personally, I want to thank the moderators for toning things down. It isn't helpful if I miss the message because I am incensed by the post.

Though fewer in number, men don't seem to find it any easier to leave than the "girls", or to be left by their alcoholic/addict loved ones, even when they are on the receiving end of an abusive relationship.

Lastly, there is a sticky about what to post and not post, especially in relation to domestic abuse. Maybe it's time for a reread.

Having said all this, I am glad SR is here for all of us that find it helps. Keep coming back!