Old 03-26-2012, 03:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
GrowingDaily
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by Dominica2 View Post
Thanks for the support everyone. I guess the thing is (this is going to sound bad) I don't remember what I liked to do sober. I don't remember anything but running and listening to my music. I mean even the stuff that is supposed to be fun like getting my hair cut or just sitting outside is mundane to me.
That doesn't sound bad. It sounds familiar. I started drinking about the same age. In the beginning I was drinking to supplement activities. Then I was supplementing my drinking with activities. Then I was just drinking, with little interest in any activities.

When I quit absolutely nothing interested me. But that wasn't any different than before. I realize now that every waking moment was spent waiting to drink. And whatever activity I may have enjoyed wasn't enjoyed for its own sake. It was just a backdrop for my drinking. I wasn't the guy who drank all the time. But I was the guy who thought about drinking all the time. It was my reward for doing anything (or not doing anything). It was my only real joy.

Fast forward a few months, and for the first time in I can't remember when, I'm actually having FUN doing things for the sake of doing them! And no, it's not a poor substitute for drinking. I'm so much happier in my daily life & activities w/o alcohol it's shocking.