Old 03-26-2012, 03:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
onlythetruth
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by Dominica2 View Post
It's almost like I don't even know who I am anymore OR what I like to do. 10 years of drinking was my way of life and now? Shell shock is more like it. How do I learn who the hell I am when all I know is what alcohol made me???
I remember feeling this way when I quit drinking, and thinking it was all kinds of awful and wrong. I SHOULDN'T feel bad! I SHOULD feel good! Something was TERRIBLY WRONG that I didn't know what the hell to do with myself without alcohol in my life!

Then one of my friends--not even a recovery group friend!--asked me, basically, what on earth I expected sobriety to feel like. She suggested that it was really pretty irrational for me to think that it ought to be simple or easy to quit doing something that had been the center of my life for the better part of 25 years. I think the word "childish" might have been mentioned somewhere in her critique of my whining.

I wasn't happy with her, but her words woke me up. She was right. Here I'd been, drinking EVERY DAY for 2/3 of my life and I thought I was going be rendered instantly healthy and engaged in an active life without any effort.

Nope. It took a lot of effort, and baby steps. I knew I liked a few things. I liked to work out. I liked to read. Okay. I did those things more. Built up my body and mind. Got into gourmet cooking. Taught myself (now THIS was hard) how to parent my young kids. At the end of a year, I was so active and busy and interested in my life that I wondered how I'd ever found the time to drink.

So get out and do it. It's your life! Enjoy it. Take your time, and you'll find out what you love.