Thread: Finally Leaving
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
booksanddolls

Finally Leaving

Hi all,

I've been reading through this forum for about a month or two, and I thought I would finally reach out and post here.

I'm a mom of twin boys (3yo) and my spouse has been drinking for as long as I've known him. Only a little when we first met but its steadily got worse. He's a happy drunk, he's never hit me and he is just sort of removed from the situation. He seems fun and silly and then passes out. This behavior has gotten worse in the last two years, and it became a normal part of life almost. My breaking point was I asked him not to drink on my birthday and he picked me up at work and he was already drunk.

I finally decided I needed to leave, because I know it is affecting my boys. I have the full support of his family (who have tried to help, but he wont go to rehab or meetings - says they are for weak people) and pretty much every one of our friends that finds out is really supportive of me leaving.

The catch is I moved to Canada to be with him and I'm going to go to through the legal system to take my children back to Australia with me. I want to be near family and friends and not have him around them until he has sorted himself out.

He's actually said he will sign a letter to temporarily let me go back home with the boys, so he knows whats happening. He's actually trying to dry himself out, but I think without dealing with the problem or get professional help it won't work.

Anyway that's my long story. After wasting a few years of my life hoping that he would get help and fix the problem, I'm ready to move on with my life. I'm a little scared of raising my boys on my own, but I know its better than living with someone that isn't really there for me.