Old 03-23-2012, 03:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sapling

Did or do any of you suffer from isolation?

Even from the people you drank/drink with?...I was always a pretty popular guy as a kid and even through a good portion of my drinking career...I liked being around people. I started drinking at a very young age...I was experimenting with it at around the age of 12...And by 15 I was drinking alcoholically. I loved this line I heard a guy say in a meeting one day...That alcoholics are the only people that cure lonliness with isolation...That was me...I found that as my disease progressed....The more I just wanted to drink alone. This went against the grain of everything I'd ever done...And it really started working on my mind....It gave me more time to think about my problem...And the more I thought about it....The more I drank. I really think that state of mind had more to do with me giving up alcohol than all the destruction and misery that I had caused myself and others....And my failing health put together....
When I finally gave up and checked myself into Detox/Rehab...The doctor told me from the results of my bloodwork about my liver...It doesn't look real good...But I've seen worse. That was about all the encouragement I needed to hear. So I ended up leaving rehab a little early because I had been turned on to AA and I wanted to work that program at a faster pace than I could where I was...And I have since given up alcohol....The liver does heal...If you stop killing it...And I've been able to face my past and right my wrongs thanks to AA....Get spritually where I needed to be...I was bankrupt in that department...But even knowing what I did about my health....I think the one thing I didn't want to face again and that scared me more than anything...Was the isolation...Drinking alone....Because I think if I kept on that road...It would have killed me before anything else. It's good to be around sober people today and not drinking....That's my thought for today.