View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 06:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
EnglishGarden

When my son was 7, I had to divorce an abusive AH. I remember my therapist at the time telling me to remind my son that I am a grown-up and I can take care of myself and all grown-up decisions and that he (my little boy) does not have to worry about taking care of me or about any grown-up problems or decisions. That is not the job of little boys. My therapist told me to say this to my son more than once. As often as needed.

It was such good advice. I remember once I was in my bedroom sitting on my bed crying my eyes out. My little boy heard me. He went into the kitchen and made me a plate of snacks (his version) and brought them to me.

Already he was turning into a caretaker. Even though he was kind, already he was trying to take care of a grown-up. Already he was losing his childhood.

So I tried to always reassure him that he could just be a little boy and I would be the adult and I would make good decisions for the good of the family no matter what.

In AA and in Al-Anon, the tradition of the program is the greatest good for the greatest number. This works in family life beautifully. It means no one person in the family gets to be most important at the expense of the other family members. Regarding addiction, it means the addict does not get to suck the family dry of health, possessions, home, peace of mind, personal growth. The addict does not get to be the most important person at the sacrifice of the greater good of the other family members.

So when you need to make decisions, ask yourself about the greatest good for the greatest number. It will help.

You are doing really well. Let the tears flow when you can. In the shower is always a good place, so the children can't hear.

I hope your parents and sisters are staying in close touch.