View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Flyersfan View Post
im 28 .... been drinking since 22 ... did not become a problem until I was 24ish... Sober for 4 days... usually I can go 4 days but then I just crash... really think I should go to the doctor? what will the doctor possibly give me
IMO......you're probably fine BUT I'm not a good source of info as I NEVER go to the doctor....almost no matter what - pretty stupid really.

I think you should hit some AA meetings and see if there's something there for you to identify with and/or to learn.

Stopping is tough enough, but, as you mentioned......staying stopped is really what matters. And actually, it's REALLY, "staying stopped + enjoying life" ...at the same time.

......and that's what I learned in AA - how to enjoy the hell out of life. I don't ever have to remember to think through the drink, don't have to worry about being around booze, don't have to keep my triggers guarded, don't have to worry about whether I get the promotion or not, don't have to think about whether "she" will show up or not, don't have to worry about being hungry/angry/lonely/tired, and I don't need any neat tips or tricks in my mind to deal with the next obsession to drink............all that AND.........I walk around with a smile on my face most days, I'm usually in a damn good mood, I've got more friends (GOOD friends) than I've ever had...and not all are in recovery, I not only don't hate my own guts but I actually like myself now-a-days.

......"not drinking" is great...... getting a whole new life that's kick a$$ - well, that's a whole 'nother level of great.