View Single Post
Old 09-26-2004, 06:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Lilalkie

When you knew you needed help

This has probably been asked a lot, but I was just curious about your stories. At what point did you realize your life was out of control and needed help?

I was one of those "good" ones who didn't touch a drop of alcohol until I turned 21--I was terrified of getting arrested and thrown in jail. I have a phobia of prison, so I try to obey the law, with the exception of going a little faster than the posted speed limit. Anyway, once I tried my first drink, I loved the way it made me feel. But I didn't start drinking regularly until after I got married at 22 and went out with dh's friends who drank. Then it became a social thing, and soon I began looking for excuses to get drunk. Finally, within the last year, I began drinking every night, sometimes heavily--having a six-pack, even though I was only 110 pounds and 5'1". I got plowed on the weekends, and sufficiently drunk on the weekdays, but not so much that I couldn't go to work. My husband finally pointed out that I had a problem and asked me to quit drinking so much. I tried to control it, and couldn't, of course. I still HAD to drink at least twice a week. Finally, I went to AA in February. I stayed sober a month, and then after work got extremely toxic for me, I drank heavily again for 7 more months, until my dh threatened to leave if I didn't go back to AA. I didn't want him to leave and knew I needed help, so here I am.

Thanks for listening!

Day 3