Old 03-20-2012, 04:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
tromboneliness

Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Its a trend to see AA's coming in for family stuff. its happening in my community too. I always saw AA as the "A" team".
That is exactly the... um, issue at the two ACA meetings in my city. We've had an influx of AA's with shaky recovery, lots of anger, and not much in the way of boundaries showing up at the ACA meetings -- they tend to think that as long as they're staying sober, it's OK to be the same angry, controlling you-know-whats they were when they drank. This makes the meeting a much less safe/comfortable place for the ACA's who came in via the Al-Anon door (which, after all, is where ACA started).

Some of the AA's tell me that in AA, paying too much attention to parent/family issues is frowned upon, because it's seen as avoiding responsibility for their drinking behavior. I understand that, but it's important to leave the other program at the door, when entering an ACA meeting. When the new members start talking about things that led them to drink/use/whatever, and how they behaved as drunks/users, the ACA's feel threatened and triggered, because it's like we're back with our parents again.

Why can't AA's have their own adult-children meetings?

T