View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
My observation has been that much of the friction associated with this simple phrase stems from the assertion (often made implicity) that saying it or typing it in underlined-bold font is indicative of "real" sobriety.
Strictly speaking, 'sobriety' has no meaning within the framework of AVRT. This is because in AVRT, recovery is not a process, but an event, and life after addiction is not considered 'sobriety', but simply life. I rarely speak of 'sobriety', but I could say, without reservation, "I abstain, therefore I am."

With that said, I should make clear that I totally dig the fact there are folks whose recoveries depend on being able to say, indeed repeat "I will never drink again". Whatever it takes....it's all good.
Functionally speaking, AVRT will not 'work' without a plan for permanent, unconditional abstinence. This is because it is predicated on a breakdown of the addictive mentality, a partition of the ego, so to speak. The Big Plan forces this breakdown and subsequent separation. Once this separation has occurred, full recognition of the Addictive Voice may commence.

People may have some knowledge of AVRT, and may be able to recognize some Addictive Voice prior to making that commitment, but without it, there will be no separation, and they will never be able to recognize all AV. Furthermore, without this separation, called the I/It split, AVRT will feel very much like 'white knuckling'.

So here's the question: Functionally, is there any meaningful difference between a new AA member fully embracing Step 1 and a new AVRT practioner embracing the phrase "I will never drink again"? Both seem like watershed moments to me.
Both are indeed watershed moments, but with far different implications. I know because I once embraced 'Step 1'. When I truly believed that I was powerless over my desire to drink, when I believed that I wouldn't ever be able to quit and stay quit, I despaired of my life, resigned myself to my fate, and proceeded to drink myself to death. I didn't quit drinking and stay quit until I came to believe that I was not powerless, until I came to believe that I could fight back and win.