View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 10:03 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
So here's the question: Functionally, is there any meaningful difference between a new AA member fully embracing Step 1 and a new AVRT practioner embracing the phrase "I will never drink again"? Both seem like watershed moments to me.
I agree with the watershed understanding. No functional differences in the early beginnings either way. However, as the days of abstinence gather I can't remain on Step 1 while in AVRT I can of course forever stand on my original declaration.

I made the declaration of never drinking again and I am a AA member. I made that declaration though before I accepted any kind of recovery plan or deal or way forward or whatever... I simply did not want to die as a drunken drunk and so I made a stand to never drink again to ensure not dying drunk.

I began AA Step 1 and thru to Step 12 to ensure I would never drink again and I did so because I already knew from sharing with others three things:

1. alcoholism can kill alcoholics even when they are seeking help and apparently getting help. Can't make a horse drink water. None are so blind as those who wont see. Shitt happens. Live and let live.

2. AA sobriety is in a class of its own and is unique and can only be replicated and experienced while actually living the Twelve Steps of AA in all my daily affairs. Works for me not dying drunk. Way cool.

3. I could not care less what works if it *truly and authentically* works for me even if it only works for me I will still live my journey by walking my talk and sharing my experiences to those not deaf and blind to what I am giving back. I am not an island.

AA is a program of daily intervention on my sobriety to ensure my sobriety retains its qualities as promised by living the AA Way.

AVRT is for me (and as yet I am still an early student of AVRT. Have not finished reading the RR:TNC) a completely different experience so far and I'm certain as I reach the full measure of AVRT *for me* I will gain yet another epiphany, and so what's there not to love?!!

So, to sum up, yeah they start the same but the daily living experiences between the two are light years apart is my ongoing experience...