View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 10:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Pigtails

Originally Posted by AlwaysGrowing View Post
I would say beat him with a Come to Senses Stick but now a days you end up in jail for that...

On a serious note it sounds like time to walk away and the most opportune time since you don't live together. Better fish are out there. Why waste time, effort and your life..
Originally Posted by Mavis1 View Post
Pegtails, go to meetings, take care of yourself, perhaps your power of example will help him along but you can't count on it. you need to take extra TLC with your recovery or you'll find yourself right out there having a drink with him and be back at square one. you are the only one that you can help, no that, accept that, nothing in this world can get an alcoholic sober if he/she does not desire it. you know that yourself if you are newly sober. get help and support thru your 12 step programs, pray for him, but most importantly, pray for you and your recovery...that's it, simple. but very hard....hugs m
Thanks Mavis. I've been trying to do this (can't say it's easy). I'm realizing that no matter what happens with him/us, I have to be in the best place possible for myself. Yesterday I went to a women's meeting and it was eerily appropriate. The topic centered around getting/staying strong in our program so that we can be there when other need us-- we can't give away what we don't have. People shared about loved ones whom they had practically given up on who suddenly took an interest in AA, years down the road. It gave me hope that my boyfriend might eventually want what I have (he's even said he wants to go to AA, but then backed down from that when the time came), but he can't want it, and I can't give it, if I don't have it. Sometimes I think it will be too late for us because the window will have passed and I will have had to have made some decisions for my own life, to move on and find someone more similar to the way I want my life to be, but even then perhaps if he ever wants sobriety he will know where to find it. And maybe it won't be too late. But whatever happens I have to just keep focused on myself and work my own program. Thanks again.