Old 03-12-2012, 07:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zoso77
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Originally Posted by hopefulwife710 View Post
Hi everyone, I have been reading some posts for the past few weeks as a guest, and have finally gotten the courage to register and post. My husband is a heroin addict. He told me and his family two days before Christmas, stating he started abusing pain pills, and then began snorting heroin, but that he wanted help. I knew that he had been depressed due to job difficulties, but I honestly had no idea. Insurance wouldn't cover inpatient rehab, so he began attending an outpatient program. After two weeks, he relapsed and went on a huge binge, stealing about $3,000 from my bank account, selling possessions, and such. We found out a few weeks later and he confessed to everything, but that he really wanted to get better. On his own, he began calling different inpatient rehabs, seeing if there was a way he could get in, while going to AA meetings everyday with his sponsor. This past Thursday (3/8), he was admitted to a state facility where they have a sliding scale fee that he will be paying for himself. He's been clean since 2/11/12, making today Day 31. He will be getting out on 3/28 (the program is only 21 days long). I really want to believe that he can do this, stay sober, and be the wonderful husband that I know is in him, but I am just so scared. I'm not sure how to walk the line between offering support for his recovery and enabling him to relapse. I've been trying to read as much as I can about addiction and recovery to try to understand it all, but I am really just a big ball of mixed-up emotions.

Thanks for listening.
Welcome to the board, "Hopeful".

Your "handle" is appropriate, as there is hope for you as you're going through this difficult period. As EnglishGarden suggested, I would read the Sticky notes at the top of the page, as they are quite insightful...and brutally honest.

If I may suggest...I would recommend you find a local Nar Anon/Al Anon meeting. Addiction does not only impact the addict, but those around them as well. It is important that you learn to keep the focus on your health and your well-being. While this may sound incredibly selfish, it is not. It will be necessary for your sanity.

Coming here and registering is a wonderful start. You will find a lot of resources here. Some of us are addicts in recovery that share their experiences and insight. As you read the posts, you will identify them. Pay attention; their insight is invaluable. Others have been brutally affected by a loved ones abuse and are in various stages of recovery. All of us are here to lend you support during a difficult time.

All the Best,
ZoSo