Old 03-07-2012, 10:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
KuanYin

bgh, welcome to SR. I've gone through this 'round and 'round with my AS. Just know that recovery can be a long hard road for all of you, the addict and the family. Personally after my AS's first few failed attempts in rehab, with me trying to do "all I could for him", I had to learn to back off. My so called "help and support" was not helping him or me. That said, indeed call the facility and ask to speak to her therapist and ask for guidance as to what to bring and what not to bring. Read the packet of info that they should have given you when she was admitted. Personally I found that my AS benefitted more when I visited less, and when he had less frequent contact with me. I was his enabler and he always manipulated me, conned me, and I of course allowed this and felt miserable. I still hate the sound of ringing phones. Phones = bad. Agree with the other posters who advised to not be at home when her daily calls come. Or conveniently don't answer. Send her a short letter or card, via snail mail once or twice a week, telling her you love her and so forth. And locate a meeting for you. These are things that helped me when my son gave rehab a try.