View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 10:28 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
midgetcop
L'il fighter

Originally Posted by dawnie24 View Post
I'm not good with plans lol I always find an excuse to have a drink
I hear ya. I did that for years too, and my brain would find any insidious way to keep me drinking. Life has been good since I've stopped.

Don't get too hung up on your weight, dawnie. We all want to be healthy and look good, but quitting alcohol is the essential first step. I used to work out like crazy while I was still drinking, and I'm talking pretty intense stuff like Crossfit, heavy strength and circuit training, etc. I managed to drink alcoholically and pass my police fitness tests. I could go to the gym completely hung over and mentally push through it to 'get er done!'

But it was like trying to run up a down-moving escalator. It was always hard, I was over-exerting myself, and ultimately I was exhausted and had to fall down. I looked like crap, I often had chest pains, heart arrythmias (and I was in my 20s), I was bloated, etc. It was too much stress on my body, and despite working out I ultimately wasn't looking after myself.

I don't work out the way I used to. Since I quit drinking I've been going to karate a few days a week, and that's it. I've lost a few inches of fat around my midsection, but I don't weigh myself. I feel physically and emotionally better. I've learned to slow down.

I know you're more concerned about weight loss moreso than hardcore fitness, but I just thought I'd share my experience. Look after yourself, dawnie.