Thread: Came so close
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 11:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Snarf
Snarf Snarf

That's an awesome story. And I wouldn't for a second turn my back on the thought that what stopped you was "maybe God." In my experience, that and my instinct are pretty much one and the same.

Always be vigilant in your recovery and careful of the positions into which you place yourself. If you think the temptation to drink is still there, why knowingly allow yourself to have to deal with that temptation and make tough choices about whether or not to drink? Best just to avoid such situations, until such time as you are fully committed to your recovery and certain beyond a reasonable doubt that you will not consume alcohol. Why make things harder on yourself? Take the easy road, the path of least resistance: Just don't go there.

Then again, I've worked in the restaurant industry and been around alcohol and people consuming alcohol for 40+ hours a week since the day I stopped drinking. But that's my livelihood, and I gotta pay the bills. Plus I was pretty darn certain I wasn't going to have another drink from the moment I poured out my last one. And I don't think the credit for that goes to "maybe God." I KNOW it does.

Good on you, and keep it up! You're right, ice cream sundaes are soooooo good. So is Butterfinger ice cream, and homemade smoothies as well! I enjoy those things now, but I never did when I was drinking. I missed out on a lot of life's simple pleasures.