Notices

Came so close

Old 03-03-2012, 11:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Came so close

to going out tonight. I let that foolish "alcoholic" part of my brain convince me that I was 5 days sober and I can go and hangout at a friends party for a bit without drinking. Took a shower, got dressed, grabbed my keys, drove to my friends house and parked outside. I could here everyone having a good time inside the house. Something stopped me from getting out of that car, don't know what, maybe God, maybe just my instinct. I turned the car back on and drove home, actually I stopped at McDonalds for an ice cream sundae, damn those are delicious. Anyway, I'm back home now and I'm so happy that I didn't put myself in that situation. Even though I had no intention of drinking, I know how tempting it would be, especially if all my friends were drinking.......hmmm just like highschool lol. Just thought I'd share my story on this peaceful Saturday night. Hope all of you had a good, productive and most importantly... sober day =)
Old 03-03-2012, 11:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

That's an awesome story. And I wouldn't for a second turn my back on the thought that what stopped you was "maybe God." In my experience, that and my instinct are pretty much one and the same.

Always be vigilant in your recovery and careful of the positions into which you place yourself. If you think the temptation to drink is still there, why knowingly allow yourself to have to deal with that temptation and make tough choices about whether or not to drink? Best just to avoid such situations, until such time as you are fully committed to your recovery and certain beyond a reasonable doubt that you will not consume alcohol. Why make things harder on yourself? Take the easy road, the path of least resistance: Just don't go there.

Then again, I've worked in the restaurant industry and been around alcohol and people consuming alcohol for 40+ hours a week since the day I stopped drinking. But that's my livelihood, and I gotta pay the bills. Plus I was pretty darn certain I wasn't going to have another drink from the moment I poured out my last one. And I don't think the credit for that goes to "maybe God." I KNOW it does.

Good on you, and keep it up! You're right, ice cream sundaes are soooooo good. So is Butterfinger ice cream, and homemade smoothies as well! I enjoy those things now, but I never did when I was drinking. I missed out on a lot of life's simple pleasures.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Terrific choice. You will feel even better about it tomorrow, I'm sure. I gave myself a nice big zone of safety in the early days, staying clear of temptation. Now it's no big deal. I went out with a friend earlier this week, enjoyed my iced teas while he had a couple of beers. Didn't give it a second thought. But until you feel super solid, caution is the better part of valor.

Great job. Love reading posts like this.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree, it's amazing the things we completely overlook when we're drunk. And you're right, I should have totally avoided the situation all together but that nagging part of my brain convinced me that it was ok. Just glad I didn't go inside, or else I might have been looking at starting day 1 over again tomorrow.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Awesome. Nice work, dude. One day I'll be that strong.

Day one today. Hey, maybe I'll be that strong today!

xx
Old 03-03-2012, 11:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

PS: I have bad news for you. Technically, that's not ice cream...Get yourself the real deal tomorrow.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
PS: I have bad news for you. Technically, that's not ice cream...Get yourself the real deal tomorrow.
Haha! R is right. If you're going to be bad, might as well make it count

Ben and Gerry's Chubby Hubby for me. It's the peanut butter pretzels. Hell yeah.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Originally Posted by eh1988 View Post
I agree, it's amazing the things we completely overlook when we're drunk. And you're right, I should have totally avoided the situation all together but that nagging part of my brain convinced me that it was ok. Just glad I didn't go inside, or else I might have been looking at starting day 1 over again tomorrow.

Day 1 sucks. You don't wanna go through that again. You already did it! Now it's time for Day 6 and beyond!
Old 03-03-2012, 11:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stillsleeping View Post
Haha! R is right. If you're going to be bad, might as well make it count

Ben and Gerry's Chubby Hubby for me. It's the peanut butter pretzels. Hell yeah.
LOL!! Awesome. Yea I know it's not real ice cream but man it tasted good. It's been a looonnnggggg time since I've had dessert, usually my dessert was a 12 pack.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

great post eg - & a great decision - I want a McDs Sundae now tho

D
Old 03-04-2012, 02:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well Done. I am avoiding all those situations as I know I am just not strong enough yet.

Really fancy Ice Cream now. YUM
Old 03-04-2012, 02:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

U so deserved that sundae! How good is dessert now we are sober! I'm enjoying it too and still way less calories than a 12 pack!
Old 03-04-2012, 06:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

1716 calories for my six pack vs 330 calories for that sundae........

Glad you did what you did, eh!!! stay stopped, those first few days aren't worth going back to!
Old 03-04-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

It's these seemingly 'little' successes that build a solid recovery journey. I want some soft serve now too!
Old 03-04-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Homer Simpson voice complete with drool..."McDonalds Sundae, mmmmmm..." good choice eh1988. You're going to love yourself when you wake up.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good work, this early in your recovery you should definitely only hang out in sober situations.