Thread: Perturbed
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 07:56 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
EmeraldRose

I wasn't here and not sure what happened but let me just say from my own experiences...
As said in previous posts everyone is stepping over a different stone in their journey. No one is skipping down the same path. But everyone has that one raw nerve that seems to get sizzled with a wrong word. One thing I have tried to do in my past year of excepting new ideas, thoughts, advice and comments is NOT to take things personally. It is a very vulnerable feeling, a very open wound kind of feeling when you stop an addiction and any simple comment can seem like one is smearing salt in a wound. It may not necessarily be meant to be that way...but sometimes when one overcomes addiction they think EVERYONE has to overcome it because they have won and you should, too. Welp, don't work like that...all I can do is offer my personal experiences and hope somewhere along the line something I've said will plant a seed. I know it's not easy to not take things personally but it has helped me tremendously knowing that any comment or suggestion does not have to feel like a dagger in my heart. I have learned not to be so critical, judgemental, biased and that has made it easier for me to accept help.
And remember that everyone has a different degree of a soul. Some are weak, some needy, some strong and some like myself very stubborn. After drinking for more than 30 years, there was no way you could tell me it was time for me to stop drinking, for me to recover and stop causing chaos. All we can do for some is be there, offer personal experience and for gods sake -be nice.