Thread: Perturbed
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Unfortunately, just like many years ago before the internet, some folks who aren't 'quite there yet but looking into the fact they may have a problem just might take offense.'

I saw it years ago in face to face meetings (before and after 'the meeting'). I too took exception MANY TIMES to what my sponsor and her hubby would tell me. I remember one time in particular, I was about 2 months sober, and something Hugh said really pissed me off and I was about to STOMP out there door.

Hugh called me back and said 2 things to me I have never forgotten:

1) "Laurie, If I baby you, I will bury you."

and

2) "I WILL risk your friendship to save your life."

WOW

As the years have gone one and I have worked with many over these 30+ years both in face to face and on line (yes I have and do sponsor long distance) I have keep those two statements as my mantra. Now that does not mean I have to do it sarcastically or meanly or nasty, but I have to 'call a spade a spade' when I read the alcoholic thinking coming out on these boards.

I have learned, that when a 'post' triggers me, NOT to answer immediately, to step away, and go think and meditate for a bit, and look at why I was 'triggered' (either negatively or positively) and then post or not.

I can also tell you, like many others in recovery, that I do NOT believe, I even started to earn what "tact" is until I was well into my 10th year, rofl

I am glad you started this thread Dee, it gives all of us the 'reminder to stop, think, meditate and try and use 'tact' if at all possible.

Love and hugs,