View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
KelleyF

Originally Posted by SpeedyJason View Post
Coming from an addict here, YES, we know what we're doing but our decision making is so muddled by the pull of the drugs that we're unable to get out of it until we lose pretty much everything. We (or at least I) feel so guilty for causing so many problems in our family that it actually continues the cycle because we use the drugs to mask the guilt. I believe that's what drives a lot of addicts to suicide. We're not just mean, heartless, scum (with the exception of abusive people, IMO) we do still have a brain that processes emotions, we're just unable to express it in a real way. Don't ever think addicts don't care... They do, the worst part of it is that
we realize what we're doing but don't have the will the stop it.
Thank you for sharing SpeedyJason.
My BF shared with me one thing his Dr. has told him; as motivation to work on his issues, I probably can't say it exactly right, but it's something like:

"The feelings and the secrets that you keep deep inside; the ones you feel like you can't share with anyone; right now those are your demons; every time you try to suppress them, they lie low for a while but then they come back stronger and in return you reach for the coke to deal with it. You can't suppress them; you have to tear into them and break them apart; slowly over time in pieces that you can handle; and eventually whats left will will be so small it won't have any power over you. "

I don't know if that is true for everyone, but it makes sense to me; and he seems to be relating to it's premise.

And the other thing which has helped him is his dad; the person that he hurt the most from every angle; he has gracefully given him forgiveness.

So all that to say; I think the majority of addicts really do suffer their actions, but they are helpless against their addiction.