View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Lotus2009

Just wanted to say welcome to SR

I know what it's like to feel stuck. When I left my AH for the first time, I was in a similar situation - I was in school, without much money, living in an apt. with my husband of 1 1/2 yrs. My name was on the lease and I didn't know where else to go. In my situation things ended up getting REALLY bad, and I finally got to the point where I realized that I just had to get out of there, if I wanted to save myself. I took the risk and just moved out, without really knowing where I was going to live and with the understanding that there was a good chance he would get evicted, which would also go on my record and affect my future apt. search (I was on the lease and couldn't get out of it according to my landlord). He didn't get evicted after all and I was able to rent a room from a friend.

I'm not suggesting you move out - especially not without first having a plan in place first. But I wanted to stress that it's important that you make sure you're not getting dragged down with him. Maybe you could make a list of alternatives - i.e. how could you make enough money to live on your own, could you talk to your landlord and get your name off the lease, is there someone you could stay with temporarily, etc.? Whether in the end you decide to move out is up to you, but it's always good to know what your options are!

I wish you all the best and make sure you take care of YOURSELF!!!