View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
AussieMatt

New guy says hi!!

Hi folks, just thought I should say hi since im new here. I decided to stop after 20 years of very heavy drinking. The reason? Well its pretty simple I guess, I dont want to die before im 50! It's probably a miracle I am even alive today and I would like to stay that way. Plus I realised that almost all the major trials and tribulations in my life have been due to drinking. Although, like most people on here (ive been reading the threads), I too have been able to maintain what most people would think is a good life.... a good looking intelligent young guy, always had good jobs, nice cars, popular and fun. But inside I have been a disfunctional mess for a very long time and I want that to change. I am about to turn 40 in a few weeks and I am going to mark the occasion by changing my life for the better. Today is day 3 for me and I am still confident I can do this. I have had some issues with dull headaches when I get a bit stressed at work, some appetite issues (dont really have any appetite and when I do eat food it seems tasteless), intermittent uncontrollable sweating, irritability and insomnia. All of this is very annoying but I know I have give my body time to make this new adjustment.. I have good support from my partner who has wanted me to stop since we met. I wont tell my family yet because I would like to feel like I have made some inroads to success first, but im very glad I found this forum for inspiration and support, its helped me through my first couple of days and cemented my resolve to win this battle to save myself. Thank you for your stories everyone, good luck to all of us. Cheers..