Notices

New guy says hi!!

Old 02-22-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New guy says hi!!

Hi folks, just thought I should say hi since im new here. I decided to stop after 20 years of very heavy drinking. The reason? Well its pretty simple I guess, I dont want to die before im 50! It's probably a miracle I am even alive today and I would like to stay that way. Plus I realised that almost all the major trials and tribulations in my life have been due to drinking. Although, like most people on here (ive been reading the threads), I too have been able to maintain what most people would think is a good life.... a good looking intelligent young guy, always had good jobs, nice cars, popular and fun. But inside I have been a disfunctional mess for a very long time and I want that to change. I am about to turn 40 in a few weeks and I am going to mark the occasion by changing my life for the better. Today is day 3 for me and I am still confident I can do this. I have had some issues with dull headaches when I get a bit stressed at work, some appetite issues (dont really have any appetite and when I do eat food it seems tasteless), intermittent uncontrollable sweating, irritability and insomnia. All of this is very annoying but I know I have give my body time to make this new adjustment.. I have good support from my partner who has wanted me to stop since we met. I wont tell my family yet because I would like to feel like I have made some inroads to success first, but im very glad I found this forum for inspiration and support, its helped me through my first couple of days and cemented my resolve to win this battle to save myself. Thank you for your stories everyone, good luck to all of us. Cheers..
Old 02-22-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Matt...You sound like you have a great attitude....Lot's of great support here!
Old 02-22-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
So it goes

Hi Matt, pull up a chair, you are amongst friends
Old 02-22-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Matt

D
Old 02-22-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Matt! I agree - you have a positive attitude & sense of humor, which always helps. Congratulations on your 3 days of sobriety!

I was a long time drinker, too - more than 30 years. I wish I'd had the courage to change when I was in my 40's. Be proud of this wise decision you've made. You're still young, & your life won't turn into a bad movie like mine did. Keep posting!
Old 02-22-2012, 03:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome Matt,

This forum and AA have kept me sober and happy.

All the best
CaiHong
Old 02-22-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
orangutan

Hi Matt, glad you found us and welcome!
Old 02-22-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Matt, awesome decision. If feels so good to be in charge of your life doesn't it? Glad you're here.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(((Matt))) - Welcome to the SR family!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-22-2012, 07:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Many thanks to everyone for the good wishes and supportive comments, its quite amazing actually. I should of done this a long time ago, but like many of us I never acknowledged I had a problem, rather I always told myself that I just enjoyed a few drinks. But in reading many of the stories on here I can relate and see myself in most of them, so once again, thanks very much everyone, it means a lot to have so many people encouraging me, I feel like my life will be a new start from here onwards. Cheers guys (possibly I should stop saying cheers from now on, yeah?
Old 02-22-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

Hi Matt! Welcome to the boards!

Lily
Old 02-22-2012, 08:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Matt, I'm Aussie too, Day 24....the hardest thing I've ever done but I'm committed also. All the best on your road to recovery!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Matt, I'm on day 10 and going strong. This forum is a great resource for support and encouragement.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi, Matt, welcome to SR!

My story sounds pretty similar to yours. I quit in December 2010, and while it seemed like a big sacrifice at the time, it turned out to be the best thing I ever did. My only regret now is that I didn't do it sooner... though mostly I'm just grateful that I quit, become it would have been so easy to let another five, 10, 15 years slip away.

Anyway, welcome to SR!