View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 09:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
TiredButHopeful

A bigger problem than I thought...

For those of you who haven't read my posts yet, I am a new member as of this week only. I am thankful for everyone's kind words and experiences shared.

However, I'm beginning to realize I may have a bigger problem on my hands than I thought. I was warned that I would be slapped in the face with the truth of it all once I talked to family members and friends of addicts.

In short, my story is probably not as bad as others...I was with a 'blues' addict for the past two years. He has said since day one he wanted to be off of them and just couldn't get through the withdrawals everytime. He has physically abused me multiple times while 'coming down' from his high.

And I'm going to stop there, because that's where my problem starts. My big problem. My "wait a second, let me back up and can you repeat that: drug addicts don't get physically violent when coming down?" moment of realization.
For two years my family has been telling me that it isn't the drugs that causes his violent behavior--his personality is only enhanced by the drugs.
But I'm in love, and worse off, in love with an addict that has changed my entire way of thinking.
So my question is, has anyone experienced extreme violence while their significant other/son/daughter was coming down off of pills?
Or should I realize that the addiction might be the least of my worries at this point in my life...

I'm tired of making excuses for him, even if I'm doing it subconsciously. Give it to me straight.