View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Lost3000
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Mental and Rochele:

I think I've been needy and lonely for a long time. And yes, I think alcohol helped drown that out. I really didn't DO anything, besides drink. And as a result I really have no friends. I can't believe I'm lucky enough to have scored my great husband!

I've been pushing myself to get outside of my box, and it's helping quite a bit. I've taken SoberJim's advice and have gotten to the gym a lot in the past few days. That itself has greatly improved my stress and overall attitude.

Next, I've reached out and made plans with the new friends I've made. It's a little uncomfortable at times but I realize it's because I'm doing something different and I push through it in hopes that it'll get better.

Yesterday I went out with a friend I met from a book club. She's a drinker. I wasn't sure if she's an alkie or a regular drinker so I proceeded with caution.

We went to a Mexican restaurant and she ordered a mini margarita. It didn't bother me one bit. She asked if I drank at all and I just said, nope, I quit. It was so easy! She took that explanation and we just moved on, no big deal. She had two of these little drinks, and seemed fine. We went about our day shopping and I was amazed at how normal she seemed. If it was me, I'd keep on drinking and then instead of shopping would just hit another bar. For our next meetup we are going to a tea house. I think I've got a friend here!

Yesterday my husband was talking about quitting too. He rarely drinks. He's had one beer in my 44 days of sobriety. I asked why, he said to support me. While I think that is so sweet, I told him, you really don't have to, but that's cool if you want to. I'm so glad to have him and I feel for you guys who don't have that. If he was drinking regularly this would be very hard.

Anyways, a bit of an update there along with my 2 cents.