View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Boleo
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post

The only solution for those of us who easily addict to alcohol is to knock it off for good, that's the beginning and the end of the story. Problem solved!!
I wish it had been that simple for me. I could have skipped about 5 years of "very bad things". All I ended up doing through repeated attempts at self managed abstinence was, teaching my body how to recuperate between binges. The dry spells did get a little longer each time but the relapse's got even worse each time.

I was one of those unfortunate alcoholics that could not get the obsession to drink out of my head with just calendar days of not-drinking. I had to find a way of ending the suffering that made life uncomfortable in my own skin in the first place. I had literally lost the power of choice when it came to drinking simply because life without drinking was not worth living. Drinking was but a symptom of a much bigger malady - feeling constantly restless, irritable and discontented.

What I did end up with was a whole new way of life where suffering was no longer the result of me making mountains out of molehills. Today I let molehills stay molehills and even find I can make mountains back into molehills by using a few simple spiritual principles. Thus the old Buddhist saying:

"In this life, pain is inevitable - suffering is optional".