View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 10:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by langkah View Post
Most alcoholics have had long experience with knocking it off for good, endlessly. The temporarily sober will drink again...
Then they haven't actually knocked it off for good, have they?

.... not because they understand too much and have delved into the subject too deeply and have needlessly complicated things. Through over simplification and minimizing they fail to understand what they are up against, and do not secure sufficient answers that work well to overcome it, generally speaking.
This is true.

It's part of the disconnect with reality that goes with being an alcoholic that despite years of failed experiments with self willing sobriety he/she will not catch on there's any pattern there at all and will continue to be quite sure that since they've made 8.346 days/months/years this time the problem has without a doubt been solved this time at last. And, then they crawl back and try it yet again.
Their mistake is in thinking that "solved" means that they can drink again, as in "normies" must drink, otherwise they wouldn't be normal, and only "alcoholics" have to abstain. They fail to realize that not drinking is actually normal.

Lives of alcoholics are most often spent running the maze and returning repeatedly mystified to the starting line, the next time going left instead of right, doing a diagonal this time through the maze, ending again at square one because there is no escape from what we will carry to our graves.
This is certainly true in a great number of cases.

A very few of us have our problem removed and are freed from the usual suffering...
I prefer to free myself, personally.

....the rest of our tribe are forced to deal one way or another, fighting against their nature...
Addiction seems to be primarily driven by intolerance of desire, hence all the talk from addicted people about wanting the desire to be removed. While somewhat understandable, that attitude is a tad bit wimpy if you ask me. I have sexual desire for certain people who are not my significant other, and which I had better restrain, and I do. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It would be most peculiar to want to be neutered in order to not feel any desire at all, however.