View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ranger
Encourager In Training

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
Is it just me or does anyone else think that we way over-complicate the issue of addiction.
Yeah. I believe addicts have a propensity towards self-sabotage, and counterproductive thinking is a common manifestation.

The only solution for those of us who easily addict to alcohol is to knock it off for good, that's the beginning and the end of the story. Problem solved!!
No doubt this logic is mechanically sound. But, it's also mechanically sound to say the solution to the problem of not making a million dollars per year is to finding a job that pays $19,231/wk and staying at it for 52 weeks.

Both my example and the argument that addiction is eradicated by "knocking off" addictive behavior are reductive fallacies. That is, they are oversimplifications. Outside the logical construct, there are countless reasons why million dollar annual incomes are so rare and there is an entire branch of science devoted to the study of addiction.

If we had the raw determination and fortitude "Knocking it off for good" would work as well as any method out there.
I think it's more than that. As the term is being used here, the "knocking it off for good" method is geared towards those with certain personality characteristics.