View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
NeedHappiness

Hello Frozen and welcome. I do more reading than I do posting on this forum, but I have told my story and I will say that coming here has only been a positive experience for me. I have been in and out of a relationship with the same "A" for over 20 years now. Right now we are "off" but still in touch.
What I wanted to say is that he has also fought MANY addictions... not just alcohol. He has never been in treatment and doesn't "think" he needs it..... par for the course..... but this is what has lead to us living our own lives separately. I had to set a huge boundary in order to keep my sanity, and that boundary was that if he was to continue drinking then he could not live with me. I enjoy his company ONLY when he is sober. One big problem I have noticed is that when he does NOT drink, his other addictions take over. Pills, weed...... anything to numb him from reality. There are definately underlying issues that need addressed, but once again.... he doesn't think there is a problem. if he WERE to get treatment, I would do EXACTLY what you have done! IMO, you have actually helped him by spilling the beans.... and if asked when he gets home, I would say that I thought he already told them about his addictions. How else do you get better if you aren't totally honest?
Keep your chin up..... what's meant to be will be... if he is serious about recovery, he will probably thank you for telling them.

HUGS