View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 07:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
OhBoy

I only have a few meetings under my belt so I'm not very far removed from what you are wondering about. I was very anxious getting to my first meeting. When I first walked in, not even knowing for sure if I was in the right place, I was greeted in a very friendly & comforting way. People started filtering in & were mulling around making small talk. Everyone seemed glad to be there so I took that as a good sign! The meeting started & it wasn't until about half way through that my anxiety relaxed a bit. Everyone seemed so calm & peaceful. Everyone understood. I knew from this board Alanon wasn't about my AW but about me & my recovery. They were very focused on helping themselves get better with the support of the group. There was real focus on serenity & letting things out of our control go. After the meeting I talked with a member of the group more in detail of my situation. He knew everything I had been through & had been there himself. I left feeling like I was a better person, maybe more accurately more of the person I used to be. I am glad that I made it to that first meeting, Sure, I wish I would have went sooner, but when I found the strength, I went and for me that's all that counts. That was my experience with my first meeting, I hope yours is as beneficial.