View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 11:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
DailyPeace

Hello Frozen,
I had a lot of anxiety in general when my son when into a 30 rehab program. I thought all my worries would be gone and I could relax and take care of myself for a bit. However the emotional turmoil that had become my life was taken away and I didn't know what the future held. Both of our lives were changing which is scary in itself. I have been attending Al-anon, NA and another 12 step meeting regularly and that has been the single most helpful thing I have experienced. I go to 5 meetings a week and sometimes I don't feel like going but I am always glad that I went afterwards. I get a little something different from each meeting. The NA meetings help me understand him and listening to recovered addicts gives me hope for him. The Al-anon and 12 step meetings are for me to work my own recovery which is all I really have the power to do. My son is in a 90 day halfway house in another town now and when we talk we can share about our recovery programs and little slogans and sayings and understand each other. Most of the rest of our family is still in denial and think we are the ones with the problem - but that is OK. It is just really helpful to have someone to share with and to understand what your going through - it helps relieve some of the anxiety. Hope that helps.