View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 08:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

(((YJasmine))) - Welcome to SR, though I'm sorry for what has brought you here. I'm a recovering addict, I also have loved ones who are addicts, so I'm familiar with both sides of the addiction fence.

I can only tell you my ES&H. I'm way older than your son, but was severely addicted to crack. I went from being an RN to a homeless, streetwalking crackhead. I'm an only child, though I do have a stepmom and step-siblings, but I broke my dad's heart.

It took everyone who loved me allowing me to face the consequences before I would even consider recovery. I dug myself into a really deep hole and was allowed to keep digging until I had had enough, and then I got to (and still am) figure a way out of that hole.

In another month, I'll have 5 years of recovery. As far as I'm concerned, statistics about recovery don't mean much. I am an RA (recovering addict), have known a ton of A's (addicts) and RA's and have yet to meet one person who was included in any statistical data.

I'm back living at home because of the financial consequences of my addiction. However, I work, I'm back in school and I help my dad out with his business whenever possible.

He told me once that whenever he'd see something on the news about someone finding a dead body, he was terrified it was me or my stepsister (also in recovery). My stepmom has told me of all the times he broke down and sobbed with worry and feeling helpless.

However, today? We have an awesome relationship. I will forever be grateful that he and my other loved ones allowed me the dignity to face the consequences.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy