Old 02-06-2012, 08:26 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Workingdrunk

Scares the heck out of me!

Originally Posted by dawnrunner View Post
WD, I am so glad to read of your renewed commitment to sobriety. If you get any thoughts of backsliding, consider my little story here:

Both my older brothers were drinkers and their patterns were often like yours: drink to oblivion, but still get to work the next day.

I am extremely sorry to say they are both dead from alcoholic cirrhosis, at fairly young ages. Both had slight liver distention for a few years before full-blown cirrhosis set in and they were dead within 2 awful years. So please don't think this is a slight concern.

Every minute you spend sober now will increase your life span and your overall happiness. And any drink you might take would hurry up your death in a really ghastly manner; I still can't get the images out of my mind. Not at all seeking sympathy here as I have written about this on this board before and received much kindness; just hoping my story can help others renew their commitment to sobriety.

You hang in there WD.
The serious health implications scare me terribly. I so much regret every day that I drank. Fortunately for me I always had a very good heathly diet. I did at times stray and eat processed meats eg. hot dogs or go to fast food restaurants, but these were the exceptions to the rule. Generally I was really good with my diet and I had no problems with my appetite.

The threat of serious health implications will see me through. It is real and I am not going to die because of beer. No way!